UK Tax Agent
We can act as your HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) UK Tax Agent. We will correspond with HMRC on your behalf with regards to Corporation Tax.
UK Tax Agent fees
- Tax Agent for UK limited Company – £400 – £800
- Additional fees are payable for specific services such as filing tax returns
A UK company must file a notice of its existence to the tax authorities within 3 months of incorporation and must file a Corporation Tax Return no later than 12 months after its year end. If these dates are missed penalties and interest become payable.
As your tax agent, we will have access to online services on behalf of any of our clients and can therefore view and monitor information with regards to a company’s tax liability.
When we are appointed as tax agents immediately when your company is incorporated, it usually not necessary to speak to HMRC if tax returns are lodged on time in the correct digital format using authorised software and by an authorised agent. We assist with creating a plan to optimise your taxes.
As your UK Tax Agent we:
- Communicate with the HMRC on behalf of the tax payer
- Advice on tax planning issues related to your company
- Assist you with an application to register for VAT
- Exchange information with HMRC
- Send and receive letters, forms and returns about the company’s tax affairs
- File corporation tax returns and lodge detailed accounts and tax computations on your behalf
- File corrected corporations tax returns, ensure that these are logged, if there were mistakes in a previous period
- Receive copies of all HMRC letters/notices sent to you
- Obtain a tax residency certificate for any international or customs business.
- We monitor your balance and obligations; and warn of any deadlines due
- We speak directly with experts in the case of an appeal and appeal against assessments
- Request special communications such as a Tax Residency certificate
- We offer clear pricing, representing excellent value for money
- Using our 20 years experience we guide you throughout every step of the process
Once appointed as your company’s tax agent, we can assist with the following services:
- Corporation Tax: We assist and submit your company annual Corporation Tax return, organise payment/collection of the tax and obtain CTA09/ S18 exemption for the company, if Corporation Tax is due
- VAT: for companies with a UK VAT account, who need to file VAT returns and returns such as an EC Sales List
Benefits of a UK Tax Agent
Being appointed agent allows us to speak on behalf of the client to the authorities at HMRC.
- We identify the capital items and the possibility of claiming initial allowances, first year allowances, special capital allowance pools – so can accelerate tax relief
- As an experienced agent’s our work is trusted, so a company is less likely to be inspected if the returns are lodged by the agent
- As your agent we are able to deal with complex tax issues such as double tax relief- which involves knowledge of international tax law and treaties
- As your agent we works with UK tax practice so are able to adapt to changes in reporting requirements and possibilities to reduce future taxes. This is particularly important as HMRC are continuing to introduce Making Tax Digital guidelines
- We understand the necessary UK tax laws and plan for the future tax affairs of your company
- We have qualified accountants regulated by professional bodies
- We use a HMRC help lines for professional tax agents which saves you time – Speaking directly to HMRC is useful, because the authorities may question calculations, the taxability of items or accelerated tax relief on the purchase of capital items
Whilst we are your tax agents we can lodge tax returns online as agents through the codes which we hold. We open up an account with HMRC online to ensure that the client themselves are able to lodge returns online.
What we do for the client
- Initial Registration: obtain an authorisation number, through the agent account we have with HMRC
- Open Gateway account for the client: To open a Gateway account, we need to have access to the UTR number. This will be sent to the UK companies registered office address.
- Organise the periods of account for Corporation Tax: Often the periods of account are different to the accounting reporting period because the company may start or cease an activity during the reporting period
- Notifying client of any HMRC requests: for example to produce accounting records
- Notifying the client of change of practice: Advise the client about new HMRC procedures
Registering for VAT
- Where a company needs to register and to collect VAT in the UK
- Where a company wants to register for VAT in the UK, because they have a UK company for European business
- Where a company spends money regularly in the UK, and need a VAT number to get VAT reimbursed
As your VAT Tax Agent in the UK we:
- Submit VAT returns
- Apply for EU refunds
- Apply for a EORI number for import and export
- Talk to HMRC about the tax account
Your UK company will need an EORI number to import and export goods from and to the European Union.
Registering for UK VAT – Overseas Clients
The simplicity and cost of UK companies make them very attractive, however, getting a VAT number for general European business is more difficult.
Having a Tax Agent is usually a persuasive factor in allowing a company to obtain VAT registration. The HMRC require evidence of trading, or there is the intention to do business in the future, this detail can be persuasive in your UK company obtaining a VAT number.
- Suppliers or Customers in the UK
- Having a UK bank account
- Rental of premises
- Storage or manufacture of goods in the UK
- Employment of UK staff
- Appointment of a UK Tax Agent
Voluntary VAT Registration
You may be entitled to register for VAT in the UK voluntarily. This enables you to claim back any input tax you have paid if you have no UK business establishment and make taxable supplies here.
HMRC Certificate of Tax Residency
- Apostilled HMRC Tax Residency Certificate – £240
We can request a Certificate of Tax Residency. The content and form of this certificate depends on:
- Type of tax or withholding tax that can be reduced in the other country
- The wording of the Double Tax Treaty with that country
- The relationship that your country has with the UK
This document is used by a UK registered company to confirm it is located in the UK for tax purposes.
The certificate of residence is used when two countries have a double taxation treaty.
The format of the certificate can vary slightly but it typically confirms:
- The company name
- The registered address of the company
- That the company is registered in the UK in accordance with a specified tax treaty or convention
We can provide a certified and signed HMRC Certificate of UK Residency which is Apostilled at the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
The certificate of UK residence contains your company unique taxpayer reference, company name and registered office address.